Monday, December 8, 2008

Finding Inspiration

Just recently, Sarah and I were talking about how wedding designs are born and if there is ever a point, after planning hundreds of weddings and events, when you "lose" the magic. I know a huge part of keeping the magic is keeping styles fresh and even more importantly, finding inspiration.

Every wedding is like a blank slate. After getting to know who the couple is, what they enjoy, and what sparks their fire, I start envisioning every detail that embodies the couple's dream wedding. Being honest, it takes a couple days for me to really have that "big picture" in my mind. But.....when it hits me, it HITS me! Usually when it does, it comes from a little piece of inspiration that is completely foreign to the wedding world.

The "ah ha" moment has overcome me in the most interesting of places. When planning Jamie & Jeff's winter black tie wedding, I designed every element based upon a wall painting I saw in a model home while shopping for my new house. The moment I saw the painting I knew exactly where I wanted to go for Jamie. Our fun and funky bride, Jessica, has a wedding inspired from a sample bedding display AND a lamp often seen on the Ruby Tuesday commercial! The patterns and contrasting colors sparked fireworks for this fabulous, bubbly couple. (Keep checking back to see how this all comes together!)

Every bride should look for inspiration in what gives them that tingling feeling inside. I always suggest to not only browse wedding magazines. Peruse home decorating magazines, fashion magazines, and leisure magazines. A favorite spot I go to for inspiration is the mall while window shopping. :) Window displays have beautiful setups that are often unappreciated.

Transforming your wedding look is easy with a little inspiration!

No comments: